KYOTO MARATHON 2023
Summary of the event
[Please be sure to read in advance]
-Kyoto Marathon 2023 for overseas runners will be accept to entry for 500 people the first-come-first-served-basis.
On the entry system is written by the lottery, but we will accept the first-come-first-served-basis.
-For security reasons, this event requirement for runners (participants) may change after entry.
-Even had registration, the right to participate is not secured. If you meet the requirements stated in the e-mail notification sent after the entry is completed (mid-September) and the participation fee is paid (credit card only), you will be required to comply with the rules and conditions of the Kyoto Marathon 2023. The right to participate in this event is secured.
-If the event is canceled due to the spread of the new coronavirus after payment of the entry fee, the organizer will decide whether to refund after considering the expenses required by the cancellation.
And we will not give the right to run for the next event due to cancellation.
-Please check the official event website for the latest information and details regarding infection control measure and the handling of entry fee refunds (contents will be updated as needed).
The event information
Click(tap) and look at item information
- Date & Time
- Sunday, February 19, 2023 (rain or shine)
09:00: Marathon start
15:00: Marathon finish
- Events / categories / Participant Limit /Time Limit / Entry Fee
Categories：①Registered athletes *1
Participant Limit：2,400 participants *2
Time Limit：6 hours *3
Entry Fee：¥20,000 *4
*1 JAAF-registered athletes
*2 first-come,first-served entries
*3 Based on signal gun time
*4 Entry via Japanese website:JPY20,000
- Runner Check-In
- Friday, February 17,2023: 11:30-20:00 (last entry)
Saturday, February 18,2023: 10:30-19:00 (last entry)
The above times are subject to change.
Place: Miyako-Messe (Kyoto International Exhibition Hall)
9-1, Okazaki Seishoji-cho, Sakyo-ku, Kyoto City
11 minutes’ walk from Higashiyama Station on the Kyoto Municipal Subway Tozai Line
Each runner must show up in person for check-in during the two days prior to the day of the event to receive a race bib, etc. Please note that no check-ins will be accepted on the day of the event or at any time other than the periods specified above.
A document for identity verification(original) is required to receive a race bib. Runners must register in person (no proxies allowed).
Any participant with a disability who intends to run with an escort runner is required to bring an official document certifying their physical disability and must be accompanied by the escort runner when checking in.
- The race course will start at TAKEBISHI Stadium Kyoto（Nishikyogoku Athletic Park） and finish in front of Heian-jingu Shrine (course certified by JAAF, IAAF, and AIMS)
The course includes unpaved riverbanks. Please note that the course includes riverside paths which may be difficult to run on in rainy weather.
- Closing Times at Each Closing point(CP)
- 8 Checkpoints will be set for the purpose of security of traffic and smooth progress of the event.
Runners who fail to pass the checkpoint are not allowed to continue the race.
Also, besides the checkpoints, they are not allowed to continue the race if they apparently dropped behind from the running group.
*The course includes unpaved riverbanks. Please note that the course includes riverside paths which may be difficult to run on in rainy weather.
- Competition Rules
- The race will be conducted in accordance with the 2022 rules and regulations of the JAAF and of this competition.
- Participants must:
1.Have been born before April 1, 2004; and
2.Be able to complete the race within 6 hours.
*Participation in wheelchairs is not permitted.
*Any disabled runner who finds it difficult to run alone may have an escort runner (guide dogs not allowed).
- 1.Men and women: First 20 runners for each
2.Men and women by age group (5-year increments): First 3 runners for each
3.”Miyako Top8”,men and woman by residents of Kyoto City:First8 runners for each
At the awards ceremony, awards will be presented to the top 8 runners in the categories under"1" described above. Certificates will be sent to other award-winning runners at a later date.
*The award ceremony is undecided.
- 1.Up-to-the-minute reports on the race (“Ouen-navi”) will be available online, which may be used by runners to check their times and for spectators to cheer on the runners.
2.Runners who finish the course will receive their race completion certificates issued on the day of the event as an interim confirmation of course completion.
3.At a later date, via our website, certificates of record will be issued to JAAF-registered athletes, and fighting-spirit certificates, which indicate times up to the point of withdrawal, to participants who have not completed the race*.
*Those who have run 5 km or more are eligible.
- Donations to the Kyoto City Sasaeai Mutual Support Fund and sport’s promotion
- Applicants will be asked to offer a voluntary donation (in 500 yen increments). Once their participation has been confirmed, they will be requested to pay the sum of the entry fee and the donation. The donation amounts entered in their application forms cannot be changed.
- Race Bibs with Nicknames
- 1.Each runner’s name or nickname (up to five 2 byte characters*) may be printed on a race bib for a fee of 500 yen. Applications for printing of any designations other than names or nicknames (e.g., company or commercial product names) will not be accepted.
2.To help runners receive more cheers, it is possible to print a runner’s name or nickname in Japanese katakana characters upon request. (Please note that katakana conversion will be left up to the organizers and that changes and other requests may not be accepted.)
*In the case of alphabetical and Arabic numeric characters, up to ten 1 byte characters may be printed but character size will be smaller.
- Original My Cup (cost JPY 1,000)
- Promote the reduction of paper cups by using the Kyoto Marathon 2023 Original My Cup as one of the “DO YOU KYOTO? Marathon” activities.
If you agree with our environmentally friendly activities, please enter the required number at the time of entry.
In addition, the sales of the original My Cup will be used for various environmental-friendly activities of the main concept “DO YOU KYOTO? Marathon”.
*You can not cancel after apply.
*The capacity is scheduled for about 150ml.
- Commemorative Gifts
- For every participant: Kyoto Marathon 2023 original Multi-way cover*
For finishers: Finisher’s towel and medal
*This item can be used in several ways; for example, as a headband or as a neck warmer.
- Lining Up at the Start
- <1>For smooth and safe start, regardless of JAAF registered, individual or group, starting block will be assigned to runners according to the submitted time. Those who didn’t submit the time will start from the latest block.
[The priority of starting block]
1.Runners who submitted their personal best in 3 years (The starting block will be assigned according to their records)
2.Runners who submitted estimated time (The starting block will be assigned after the blocks for ① is determined)
3.Runners without any record
<2>As a protective measure against cold weather before the signal gun goes off, a runner may wear a sweater, jacket or any other garment that they will no longer need.These items of clothing will be collected and reused/recycled.
- Health Management
- In the event of an accident occurring during the race, the organizers will take emergency measures and compensate for damages under the coverage of the organizers’ insurance. However, the organizers assume no responsibility for any damages that may be incurred thereafter. Participants are requested to take responsibility for managing their own health and refrain from participating if they are not in good health. It is recommended that participants check their condition beforehand by having a medical checkup.
- Possible Interruptions
- Should any emergency, such as an accident or fire, occur during the race, emergency vehicles may pass through on the course. In such cases, runners are asked to follow instructions from event staff and may be requested to stop temporarily.
- Costumes Prohibited
- 1.Because the Kyoto Marathon course includes narrow stretches, running in costumes is prohibited in order to ensure safe negotiation of the course by the runners.
2.Runners will not be permitted to wear and/or display any designs, trademarks, etc. that indicate the names of companies or products for advertising purposes at any event venue (including on the course).
- Portrait Rights
- The organizers will retain the rights to broadcast, publish, and post images/photos and video of and articles about the race, the names, ages, addresses (country, prefecture or city/town), and finishing times of applicants, etc. via TV programs, newspapers, magazines, web sites, and other media. The organizers may use third parties to sell photos and other goods related to the event as deemed appropriate.
- The organizers fully recognize the importance of personal information, comply with General Data Protection Regulation(GDPR), the Act on the Protection of Personal Information and related laws of Japan, and handle such information in accordance with the organizers’ policy to protect personal information.
In order to offer better services to the participants, the organizers will use such personal information for the purposes of sending participation guidelines, giving notification of time records and related information, providing services by co-sponsoring, cooperating, and supporting organizations and other related organizations, and announcing race records (rankings, etc.).
1.Runners’ personal information, including name, age demographic, affiliation, and time records, will be published online.
2.The organizers or Kyoto Marathon Entry Center may contact applicants to confirm application details.
- In addition to the above, participants are requested to follow the organizers’ instructions on any and all matters concerning the event.
【Inquiry about the entry】
『Kyoto Marathon 2023 Entry Desk』
Office Closed: Every Weekends, National Holidays and Dec. 30th to Jan. 3th)
Japan Standard Time (GMT+9)
【Inquiry about the event】
『Kyoto Marathon event headquarters』
Office hours: 8:45 AM～5:30 PM on Weekdays
Application Terms & Conditions
Before sending an application, please agree to the following terms and conditions.
Multiple applications by the same person will be not possible.
The JAAF registration status of athletes will be verified during the application process. Athletes are advised to check their status and enter accurate registration data in their applications.
Once an application has been accepted, the contents of the application cannot be changed, the application cannot be cancelled, and entry fees will not be refunded.
False statements of age, sex, time records, etc. are strictly prohibited. Proxies and/or assignments of rights are also not permitted. Should any such acts be discovered, the entry/award in question will be cancelled, entry fees and charges will not be refunded, and future applications for the Kyoto Marathon will not be accepted.
In the case of the event’s cancellation or scaling down due to weather incident, natural disasters, infectious disease, or any other reasons not attributable to the organizers, entry fees and other charges will not be refunded.
Online applications may not be successfully processed depending on device, operating system, browser software, etc. used by the applicant.
The organizers assume no responsibility for applications that are delayed due to poor conditions of Internet connections.
Neither the Entry Center nor the event secretariat will respond to inquiries by phone about the number of applications accepted.
Delivery will not be tracked in the case of failed due to incorrect e-mail addresses provided by applicants.
No receipt for the entry fee will be issued. For credit card transactions, the card issuer’s statement/bill may be used as a certificate of payment.
Kyoto Marathon 2023 will be held in compliance with all applicable laws and regulations in Japan.
We will provide anonymous information regarding symptoms and other conditions of rescued people on the day of the event to the research organizations in order to help future medical relief system.
In addition to other agreements above ,please make sure to follow the instruction of event organizer about the race.